Mechanical Design Engineer – Emeryville, CA
f’real, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rich Products Corporation, designs, sells and markets authentic milkshakes, smoothies and frappes all made from real ingredients – ice cream, fruit, milk and coffee. f’real f’natics freshly blend our delicious products in our patented blender in almost 20,000 locations across the globe. f’realies (aka employees) have one purpose – to create happiness in a cup for people everywhere by blending delicious flavors with magical moments!
Meet Your Job
The Mechanical Design Engineer will support new product prototyping, final design for manufacturing and sustaining engineering support as we continue to grow and expand our product offerings. You will report to the Engineering Manager. Travel to the Contract Manufacturer’s both domestically and internationally will be required. You will assist in all aspects of mechanical design and you will serve as mechanical design lead for designated projects for mechanical design. You will receive general supervision and direction from the Engineering Manager and work independently and with a cross-functional team.
- Design & develop prototypes for proof of concept and ultimate manufacture, test and refine key components with Design For Manufacturing (DFM) in mind.
- Design and troubleshoot electro-mechanical systems.
- Support and lead sustaining engineering refinement of existing products.
- Prepare and execute protocols for design verification, system characterization, & validation testing.
- Select commercial electrical and mechanical components according to established specifications, and evaluate for performance, reliability, availability and cost. Create corresponding BOM.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards appropriate for the product under development and in operation (i.e. electromechanical safety certifications through UL, TUV, Intertek or equivalent and applicable food safety and food contact regulations such as FDA, EU, GB, etc.).
- Identify and liaison with key suppliers, vendors and manufacturers.
- Track and manage the sub-projects, plan and take adaptive action, prepare status reports.
- Lead and participate in hardware design reviews.
- Actively participate in development of new blender architecture.
- Modify and debug existing equipment to meet design and reliability requirements through the change control process.
- Work with manufacturers to develop assembly guidelines and establish quality control and testing protocols.
- Develop field installation, training and maintenance procedures.
- Participate and/or lead sustaining engineering efforts on production blender as needed.
- Work with product development team from concept generation through manufacturing and production.
- Create new designs and modify existing designs in SolidWorks CAD, and create and update corresponding BOM’s.
- Create and conduct design verification and reliability tests, prepare written protocols and plans.
- Set-up and/or assemble test fixtures/apparatus, including measurement and data acquisition instruments; design, and source test fixtures/apparatus as needed.
Help Us Meet You
You are an enthusiastic team player with solid technical and people skills. You thrive in a collaborative work environment and love the challenges that come with innovation and change. You have a strong understanding of engineering fundamentals, and manufacturing methods; a practical and logical approach to problem solving; and a desire to learn and expand your knowledge; are results driven with a “do what it takes” growth mindset, organized and able to focus yourself to achieve and exceed goals.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline required.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a mechanical design engineer in a product development role. Electromechanical integration is a plus.
- Understanding and working knowledge of engineering fundamentals including: electrical and mechanical principles, fluidics, materials.
- Familiarity with motion control systems.
- Strong electromechanical and control system troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to prepare, read, analyze, and interpret common technical and manufacturing documents.
- Hands on prototyping ability.
- Ability to provide project management and oversight.
- Experience with common manufacturing processes and practices, particularly injection molding, CNC and sheet metal fabrication, and machine integration.
- Familiarity with statistical methods, six-sigma, and LEAN concepts.
- Familiarity with common instruments including: volt-ohm Meter, oscilloscope, micrometer, etc.
- Advanced capability with common CAD software (SolidWorks desired); surface modeling a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with ability to effectively present information to technical and non-technical groups.
- Proficiency with office productivity tools (MSWord, MSExcel)
- Positive and fun outlook…we’re in the milkshake business after all!
- Travel required for field visits, customer and company meetings.
F’real Foods Inc. (“f’real”) is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. F’real will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you are interested in applying for an employment opportunity and feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, please contact us at 1-877 FOR REAL (367 7325).