Food Technologist – Emeryville, CA
f’real foods is a growing frozen beverage company that designs and markets great-tasting milkshakes, smoothies and frappes. f’real f’natics (people who love our products!) freshly blend our delicious beverages in a patented blender that can be found in almost 20,000 locations across North America, and now internationally. A wholly-owned subsidiary of Rich Products Corporation, our company has grown by leaps and bounds, yet f’realies (team members) still maintain our entrepreneurial spirit and culture.
About the Role
The Food Technologist/Culinary Technologist reports to the Manager of Product Development and will be responsible for efforts to generate new product development and drive innovation. With a passion for creating distinct and memorable food experiences for our customers you will develop and test new and existing raw ingredients, finalize formulations and reap the rewards of seeing your unique creations come to life. This role is responsible for the development of products including technical, formulation and sensory validation. Development is focused on supporting category objectives and leading consumer driven innovation into the market.
Key to this role: This role also is responsible for establishing specification standards for new products and ensuring that appropriate controls are in place to deliver those standards consistently to our customer. A strong technical background is desired as well as insight into global industry developments and food trends to deliver customer driven market leading innovation. The ability to collaborate within working teams and with external partners to problem solve effectively will be an essential asset.
- Supports cross-functional and project teams to deliver strategic initiatives.
- Support plant trials.
- Develop benchtop prototypes as directed.
- Develop and maintain product and blend profile specifications.
- Support documentation for nutritional labeling, ingredient labeling, regulatory and claim substantiation.
- Coordinate shelf-life testing as needed.
- Maintain laboratory supplies, equipment and ingredients inventory.
- Provide customer and field support as needed.
- Coordinate product cuttings as directed/needed.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 0-3 years’ experience in food product development in CPG and/or foodservice categories.
- Experience in food production facilities (internal or co-packing) is a plus
- BS/BA degree preferably in Food Science, Nutrition (Culinary degree a plus)
- Convenience store channel experience a plus
- Labeling, Regulatory and Legal Substantiation experience a plus
- A passion for great food, an excellent palette and a creative edge
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize projects and tasks to meet timelines
- Problem solving skills and collaborative thinking
- Experience leading teams and/or projects across functions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, presentation skills and relationship management
- Advanced computer skills with the ability to learn systems quickly
- Passion, creativity and desire to deliver the next line of great F’Real products!
Position Core Competencies
- Market Knowledge: Understands the key market dynamics, trends & the competitive set; leads customer insights
- Customer Focus: Knows key customers, helps outline objectives and develop key initiatives to address their needs and our goals; helps measure impact of product offerings; active exposure to customers and stores
- Strategy/Planning: Active contributor to the development of the Product Development Plan, Business Review; develops key initiatives to support the plan; distills issues & opportunities to draw conclusions & implications
- Team Leadership: Ability to lead team on key initiatives; builds collaborative relationships across multiple cross functional groups, especially Marketing, Operations, Engineering & Sales
- Communication: Strong oral and written communicator with little coaching; competent in presenting to small and large groups
- Financial acumen & analytics: Strong knowledge and utilization of key data systems, reporting, analysis, implications, and the key P&L levers; some management of budgets and/or forecasting
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong cross functional communicator & collaborator
- Thrives in entrepreneurial environment – can be scrappy, creative and resourceful while also building structure and process
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Decisive and biased towards action – strong sense of urgency
- Comfort working in a fast-faced, constantly-changing environmentCan-do attitude and good sense of humor
Accountabilities & Performance Measures
- Delivers company net profit target
- Delivers product target (absolute cups sold and change vs. prior year)
- Achieves velocity targets, as defined by cups per store per day (CSDs)
- Delivers forecasted program ROIs
- Launches new products and programs on-time and within targeted cost parameters
- Some level of travel required for plant trials, production start-ups, strategic vendor visits, customer and company meetings (approx. 15%)
F’real Foods Inc. (“f’real”) is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. F’real will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you are interested in applying for an employment opportunity and feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, please contact us at 1-877 FOR REAL (367 7325).